Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Feta and Apples
From Out of the Orchard by Julie Van Rosendaal
A note from Julie
This is one of my favourite salads. Because it’s so portable, it’s perfect for bringing to parties or potlucks or even for lunch at work. Serves 4–6
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa
- ¼ cup (60 mL) golden or sultana raisins
- 19 oz (540 mL) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Big handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) crumbled feta (or as much as you want)
- 1 tart apple or ripe but firm pear, cored and chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts or sliced almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup (60 mL) canola or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) curry paste or powder
Cook the quinoa according to package directions (or in plenty of water for about 12 minutes, until tender and there’s no longer a white dot in the middle). Drain well in a sieve and transfer to a wide salad bowl, add the raisins, and set aside to cool.
Once the quinoa has cooled, add the chickpeas, parsley, feta, and apple.
To make the dressing, shake all the ingredients in a jar or whisk them together in a bowl. Drizzle over the salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts or almonds right before serving.
*Recipe excerpted from Out of the Orchard by Julie Van Rosendaal, 2016
- Caramelized Pear on Warm Brie
- Dungeness Crab Cakes with Harissa Aioli
- Zucchini Gratin
- Carrot Cake with Maple Pumpkin Seed Brittle and Brown Butter Cream Cheese Icing
- Mind Over Matter bourbon cocktail