As we bid adieu to 2020, we are sending our warmest wishes to you and yours for a cozy holiday season.
And from our kitchen to yours, we’re pleased to share this festive recipe for Poire Belle-Hélène from Bisous and Brioche by Laura Bradbury and Rebecca Wellman.
Image of Poire Belle-Hélène by Rebecca Wellman from Bisous and Brioche (page 207), copyright © 2020 by Laura Bradbury and Rebecca Wellman.
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 large pears with stems intact
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- Vanilla ice cream to serve
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add ½ cup water. Add both sugars, the cinnamon, and vanilla. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer and let cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is brown and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in another 1 cup of water and bring to a simmer.
- In the meantime, using a small paring knife, carve the core out of the bottom of the pears. Peel the pears, leaving the stems intact. Place the pears in the liquid and simmer, rotating occasionally, until the pears are tender when poked with a knife, 15–20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the pears cool in the syrup.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, use a rubber spatula to stir the chocolate chips with the cream until the chocolate melts and is nice and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Place a pear on each of four plates. Drizzle chocolate sauce over top and serve with ice cream.