We are seeking a full-time editorial coordinator to join our Victoria office.
We are a small team of creatives who share a big love of eating, drinking, exploring the region, and diving into stories that expand and deepen our worldview. We create beautiful books on topics that ignite our passion—food and wine, art and photography, gardening and pets, house and home, regional history, and quality literary fiction titles.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work directly with authors, editors, copyeditors, proofreaders, indexers, designers, production manager, and publisher to coordinate all aspects of a book’s development from concept to printed product for 20 new titles a year
- Maintain and monitor production schedules to ensure book projects are completed on time and meet a high standard of quality
- Provide comprehensive guidance to authors throughout every step of the production process informed by in-house guidelines, current market trends, and industry standards
- Liaise with multiple freelancers with associated budgets in mind
- Prepare and format manuscripts at every stage of the process, getting them ready for editors, copyeditors, and designers
- Assist with sourcing and preparing artwork, images, and captions as needed
- Copy edit and fact-check full manuscripts as needed; create or revise style sheets as needed
- Write, copy edit and/or proofread ancillary material such as such as catalogues, ads, posters, postcards, bookmarks, and ARCS
- Check multiple rounds of page proofs, consolidating author and proofreader changes, resolving queries, and coordinating changes with designers
- Participate in staff meetings, including weekly production meetings and bi-annual sales conferences
Required knowledge, skills, and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English, Communications, Marketing, or a related field
- Two or more years of publishing experience preferable
- Certificate, diploma, or degree in publishing or editing an asset
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage projects and handle multiple priorities and tasks at a time
- Ability to work cooperatively and maintain productive working relationships in a fast-paced environment
- Strong ability to communicate with clients and freelancers clearly and professionally via email and phone
- Strong creative problem-solving abilities
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Adobe Creative Suite, and Google Docs
- Experience with project management software (Asana) and cloud storage providers (Dropbox) an asset
- Familiarity with editing standards and overall writing structures
- Familiarity with the overall book industry and industry standards for books
TouchWood Editions embraces diversity, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 19, 2019.